Hidden Valley Nature Trail, Hidden Valley Picnic Area and Parking, Joshua Tree National Park, California
Hidden Valley Nature Trail - 1.1 miles
Hidden Valley Picnic Area and Parking
|Round-Trip Length:||1.1 miles|
|Start-End Elevation:||4,205' - 4,205' (4,257' max elevation)|
|Elevation Change:||+52' net elevation gain (+196' total roundtrip elevation gain)|
Hidden Valley Nature Trail - 1.1 Miles Round-Trip
Hidden Valley Nature Loop rings the inside of a natural corral made of towering rock walls and large boulders.
Hidden Valley's natural encasement funnels and traps rain, creating a unique micro-habitat that brings together a wide range of plants and animals not typically found together in this section of the Park.
In 1936, desert pioneer Bill Keys blasted a notch through these walls to improve access for his cattle herds. Today this serves as Hidden Valley's main access point.
Healthy populations of Joshua Tree, pinyon, juniper and oak share space with mesquite, yucca, nolina, various cacti and dozens of other species.
The valley's unique combination of water, shade and rock make such diversity and abundance possible. Many of Joshua Tree's small mammals rely on Hidden Valley's abundant food sources for survival.
The trail is ideal for families, runners and those with limited time or abilities. Skilled climbers can scale the encasement walls to great vantages over the Hidden Valley basin.
Interactive GPS Topo MapKey GPS Coordinates - DATUM WGS84
- N34 00.743 W116 10.083 — 0.0 miles: Hidden Valley Nature Loop Trailhead
- N34 00.787 W116 10.141 — .1 miles : Begin nature loop
- N34 00.743 W116 10.083 — 1.1 miles : Hidden Valley Nature Loop Trailhead
- It should be noted that, while the trail is generally easy to follow, many informal and unsanctioned offshoots exist. Hikers should be cognizant of the trail's circular direction.
- Hidden Valley is very popular with rock climbers.
- This is an ideal early morning or late afternoon hike (particularly for lighting), and great year-round trail run.
Directions to Trailhead
The Hidden Valley Picnic Area and Trailhead is located approximately 10 miles from the Oasis of Mara Visitor Center, and 18 miles from the West Entrance Station. The trailhead is on the southeast road spur off of Park Bouldevard.
Joshua Tree National Park
74485 National Park Drive
Twentynine Palms, CA 92277-3597